ZocdocAnswersWhy won't this bump on my leg go away?

Question

Why won't this bump on my leg go away?

I have a dark reddish purplish bump on my leg (middle of right calf, on the side) about the size of a pea. It kind of looks like a blood blister. Its been there for over five years. Absolutely nothing I do will make it go away. I've tried picking it off, leaving it alone, my dermatologist even did a small procedure and cut it off, but it always comes back. I should mention its been tested and it is benign, but its very annoying and unattractive. Any ideas what this is or how to get rid of it?

Answer

I would recommend that you see your dermatologist or a health care professional to have the new lesion reevaluated. Without formal evaluation, there is no way to know the true etiology of the current lesion. However, based on your comment, possible explanations are that the original lesion was partially excised and the remaining tissue has regrown, though it is also possible that this may be novel recurrence of the same process. Based on your description of a "blood blister" like bump on your leg that has been there for multiple years, this description is often consistent with abnormal growth of vascular etiology. This may include arteries, capillaries, veins and lymphatics, and are often referred to generically as a hemangioma, and are often benign. If not fully removed, they are capable of recurring. Rarely, vascular skin lesions can represent more sinister etiologies such as angiosarcoma and kaposi's sarcoma, which are aggressive malignancies of vascular tissue origin. Based on your story, it sounds like your lesions was evaluated and determined to be benign, however, given the new recurrence, I would recommend that you see your doctor again to have to lesion reevaluated to make sure that it does not represent a more serious process. For definitive diagnosis and removal of the lesion, you will likely need to have the lesion completely excised.