ZocdocAnswersWhat is my risk of STD? Should I get tested?

Question

What is my risk of STD? Should I get tested?

I met this guy on Craigslist and fooled around with him yesterday he said he was disease free but now I'm wondering if he lied. He had no signs on the outside. We only kissed and he gave me a hand job but when I ejaculated he put his mouth on my penis for about 20 seconds. I don't have any symptoms but I'm worried.

Answer

The sexual encounter that you had is probably unlikely to result in a sexually transmitted disease. In this case, you had hand to genital contact and a brief period of oral to genital contact. For the most part, the oral to genital contact is the only activity that you participated in that has the possibility of spreading a sexual transmitted infection. I would say that the risk of this is quite low. However, if your partner had a pharyngeal gonococcal infection it would be possible for him to spread to you by oral contact. Still, this is fairly rare and as long as he didn't have symptoms of a sore throat, this is very unlikely. Rarely oral herpes infections spread to the genitalia, but again this is rare. I think that if you are concerned, however, about obtaining a sexual transmitted infection, you should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (either general internal medicine or family medicine). Simple testing including a urine gonorrhea and chlamydia test along with a blood test to rule out HIV and syphilis should go a long way to providing you with assurance that you have no such infection. Remember to always use condoms for every sexual encounter, and please discuss your concern with your physician.