ZocdocAnswersI was told by a doctor I have schizophrenia? What should I do?

Question

I was told by a doctor I have schizophrenia? What should I do?

What should I do? I have no medical insurance, no car... & I'm poor. Age:19 Gender-M I have no way to get help.

Answer

I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist. Schizophrenia is a very complex psychiatric condition that affects about 1% or less of of all people. It is a condition that involves altered perception of reality. Symptoms can include hallucinations such as hearing voices that are not really there, and delusions that certain things are when they are not. One of the most common delusions patients with schizophrenia face are the delusions of paranoia. They often believe they are being followed, watched by the government or in some way people are out to get them. Many of these symptoms are have many overlap with other conditions such s schizoaffective disorder, and bipolar disorder. Thus, I would have to say that most people that wind up with the diagnosis of schizophrenia do not arrive at that diagnosis right away. Certainly if your doctor only met you once, then it might be that you have another condition. In any event, there are many medications that can be very helpful in improving these symptoms and many people with schizophrenia lead normal lives. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist has the experience and expertise to diagnosis conditions such as this and can help make sure you have the right diagnosis, and therefore the right treatment.