ZocdocAnswersMy shoulder popped out. Will it continue to pop out and will I need surgery?

Question

My shoulder popped out. Will it continue to pop out and will I need surgery?

My shoulder popped out (dislocated) and then caught a spasm and started rotating during one of my basketball games. If your shoulder popped out once and you popped it back in by yourself,

Answer

It sounds like you are suffering from recurrent shoulder dislocations. People who dislocate their shoulders once have a higher chance of dislocating their shoulder again. The shoulder is a joint that has tendons and ligaments that form a capsule that surrounds the shoulder joint. When this capsule is weakened from injury such as a dislocation or falls, the capsule is weaker and cannot prevent the shoulder from dislocating as well as it should. It is hard to determine whether your shoulder will dislocate again since I do not know your medical history. You should make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to discuss the possible treatment options. The possible treatment options could be conservative therapy with physical therapy to strength the shoulder joint. The more aggressive treatment approaches could involve surgery which will involve imaging scans such as a MRI. A MRI is when you lay on a table and you will be laying in a tube for about 45min to 60 minutes. If you do get surgery, there will be a period of time where you have to wear a sling for a few weeks for it to heal, then you will have to go through physical therapy to strengthen your shoulder and regain your range of motion. Please speak with an orthopedic surgeon.