This morning I had blood and urine work. Should I be concerned that the same gloves the surgeon wore to remove my blood and the patients before me touched the same urine cup that touched my vagina and inner thighs?

This morning I had blood and urine work. Throughout the procedure the phlebotomist wore gloves and continued to wear the same gloves when he stepped out of the room to get my urine cup and hand it to me. After he handed me my urine cup, I went into the restroom and when I was urinating into the cup, the cup touched my inner thighs and vagina. My question is: should I be concerned that the same gloves he wore to remove my blood and the patients before me touched the same urine cup that touched my vagina and inner thighs? Or is this a foolish concern? My concern isn't so much my blood, but any blood tracings that may have remained on the phlebotomist's gloves from previous blood work.
That is an excellent question and one that is best addressed by your primary care doctor or another medical care professional who can discuss all your concerns and decide whether any testing is required. Based upon the history you have provided, it is unlikely that what occurred should make you concerned. On the other hand, if there is something that happens that makes you uncomfortable or that seems unhygienic to you, then it is important that you discuss it at the time that it happened with the phlebotomist as this could be occurring commonly and it is not appropriate that he or she is performing their job in an unsanitary way. It also may be making other people feel uncomfortable and they may not say anything so you would be helping many people by discussing this with the phlebotomist at the time that it occurred. Also, if you take a urine test, it is important that you do not touch the cup at all as this can cause the urine test to become dirty and a false positive. I would suggest waiting for the results but you may consider retaking the urine test if it does show something because it may not be clean as mentioned before. I recommend seeing your doctor to discuss this further.

• Dr. Howard Shapiro
    Dr. Howard Shapiro DO
    14 E 60th St
    New York, NY 10022
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021