ZocdocAnswersI am not pregnant and I am mother of 11 month baby. Can I take prenatal supplements?

Question

I am not pregnant and I am mother of 11 month baby. Can I take prenatal supplements?

I want to use this for hair growth

Answer

Thank you for your interesting question. In order to provide an answer regarding the safety of this supplement, a doctor would need to review your entire medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to make a recommendation. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. Prenatal supplements are optimized to provide certain vitamins and minerals that are critical to healthy fetal development. There are two important components of your question. The first is whether this supplement is safe for you to take despite not trying to become pregnant. This is not possible to answer without knowing more details of your medical history. Certain factors, such as whether you are still breast feeding and whether this supplement could cause interactions with your other medications, are important to consider. The other important issue is whether your problems with hair growth are caused by a different medical issue that should be treated with something besides a vitamin supplement. Some disorders, such as hypothyroidism or deficiencies of other hormones, can lead to hair loss or impaired hair growth. You will need to schedule an apppointment with a primary care physician to discuss these concerns.