ZocdocAnswersDo you know if there is a possibility of me becoming 6'1" in height?

Question

Do you know if there is a possibility of me becoming 6'1" in height?

I'm 18 years old and 5'10.5" in height. My dad is 6'3" and my mom is 5'5". I want to know if I will become tall.

Answer

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you speak with your pediatrician for further information about growth and height potential, but here are some thoughts. Although your height potential is in the ballpark of 6'1" (based on the mid-parental height calculation formulas), the short answer to your question is that you are unlikely to grow any taller. The growth spurt that young teenagers experience during puberty involves a rapid period of growth, and most individuals will continue to grow for about two years after that period. By the age of 14-16, the majority of boys have reached their maximum height. For girls, the age range of achieving maximal height is 12-14. Growth slows and then stops during this time because of the increased production of estrogen (in both boys and girls) that occurs during puberty. The effect of estrogen is to close the growth plates. There is certainly variability in these general principles based on race, body habitus, and other demographic features, but the vast majority of individuals will fall into the buckets described above. Again, I would recommend that you discuss growth and height potential with your pediatrician for further information. I hope that this was useful!