ZocdocAnswersDid my doctor check for STDs when he tested me for BV?

Question

Did my doctor check for STDs when he tested me for BV?

I thought I might have been pregnant because I was a couple days late with allot of discharge, so I made a doc apt. They had me pee in a cup and my pregnancy test was negative, so they rested me for a yeast infection or uti can't really remember but any ways they didn't have enough pee in the cup so they had me go to the bathroom and swab myself. The result was bv,, was I also checked for stds?

Answer

Thank you for your question! I would recommend that you touch base with your physician to obtain the lab results and find out which tests were sent. Generally speaking, a vaginal swab is used to check for three major types of infection: bacterial vaginosis (BV), yeast infection, and trichomoniasis. BV and trichomoniasis are regarding to be sexually-transmitted. It sounds like the urine test was used to check for pregnancy, although urine samples can also be sent to rule out chlamydia and gonorrhea (common STDs). Importantly, there are several STDs that cannot be tested for with urine samples. Syphilis and HIV, for example, require blood tests. If you have been sexually active with multiple partners, it may also be a good idea to be screened for Hepatitis B (which can be sexually acquired) if you are not already immune through vaccination. Urinary tracy infections are technically not STDs, although they can be sexually associated. They are infections caused by one's own vaginal or GI bacterial flora that have ascended to the urethra and bladder. They are generally diagnosed with a urine test. Again, the best way to know what you were tested for would be to discuss the results with your primary care physician. If you were not screened for STDs, it would be a good idea to get tested. Take care!