ZocdocAnswersMy 12 year boy has a lump under his left nipple. Should we go to a doctor?

Question

My 12 year boy has a lump under his left nipple. Should we go to a doctor?

Is it his body changing teenager or should I get this checked now or in a couple weeks

Answer

Lumps are a common complaint across many age ranges and can have a number of possible diagnoses. I suggest you seek further evaluation from your child's pediatrician to better describe the symptoms. Questions you may be asked include when the lump was first noticed, how it was first noticed, has it changed in size or consistency since it was first noticed, is there any associated pain or tenderness related to the lump, and have you or he noticed any nipple discharge? A lump may be due to a lipoma, a benign tumor made up of fat cells. Alternatively, gynecomastia may be the cause of the lump you have noticed. Gynecomastia is the development of breast tissue in males. This may be due to normal hormonal changes that can occur around the time of puberty. Gynecomastia could also be a sign of a disorder in endocrine (hormonal) function or metabolism. Problems can include genetic disorders or tumors that secrete hormones. An abscess is a potential cause of lumps as well. An abscess is a collection of pus that has built up in tissue and formed as an attempt by the body to wall off a source of infection. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without consultation with a physician. I suggest you contact your doctor to describe your symptoms and to undergo an evaluation.