ZocdocAnswersMy son of 5 has a red bruise-like skin condition on his legs. What should we do?

Question

My son of 5 has a red bruise-like skin condition on his legs. What should we do?

I seen a doctor who advised it was no more than a viral infection and offered no cure I'm getting concerned it's getting worse

Answer

Thanks for your question and sorry to hear about your concern. There is a chance that you both could be right: it could likely be explained by a viral illness and it could be something that you should be concerned about. So it is important to speak with your doctor. Purpura (a condition that is described as red and purple bruises that often appear on the legs in the setting of a recent viral illness) can be somewhat common. The main reason for the appearance of the changes on the legs has to do with changes in the normal clotting of the blood. Sometimes, these things will run their course and things will shortly return to normal. At other times, the purpura can be a sign of something more serious that needs closer attention and may require intervention. Lab testing can help, but is not always warranted. That is why it is important to discuss your concerns with your doctor so that he can help answer your questions more fully and determine if there are any other concerning symptoms that make him or her think that more should be done. He or she can also suggest things that you should look out for. Please speak with your doctor about this.