ZocdocAnswersIs it possible to know when she conceived?

Question

Is it possible to know when she conceived?

Ok here's the deal. And I know I deserve scrutiny but I'm just looking for opinions for peace of mind. Alright, so I had protected sex with this girl on 9/14. Turns out she also had unprotected sex om 9/7. My condom had slipped off no idea how long I replaced it with a new one etc. I finished outside of her. So 9/22 she claims her first preg symptoms. 9/24 her very faint positive test. When was he last period you say? Good question. Initially I was told it ended the 23rd of August. Then she was like..no idea. Now she says it may habe started either the 23rd or the 28th which means she has zero idea and she's basing that on possible days of ovulation for either one of us. She was told nov 25th she was 12 weeks and 3 or 4 days along with a possible 11 day discrepancy. She also stated the doctor said no idea on a conception date. The other day she said the doctor said he believes conception was either the 14th or 15th of sept.

Answer

Thank you for your question. While there are some good ways to estimate when a child was conceived, the real question that you are asking is whether or not you are the father of the child. That is a question that can only completely be answered with DNA testing, as any other estimate would likely be an estimate rather than a true fact. It is important to discuss this concern with your doctor. Due to the relatively short amount of time between the intercourse, either person could potentially be the father, as sperm can sometimes remain viable for some time. In short, to determine for sure who the father is, more information is needed and that will require a DNA test. In order for that to happen, there will need to be more discussion with the mother and you will also need to discuss this with your doctor and the mother's doctor to make sure that all parties understand the role and value of information that can be obtained through the various treatment options. Please speak with your doctor and perhaps a geneticist or other specialist who may be able to help you understand all of this and come to the best conclusion that will be satisfactory for all.