Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is the procedure my doctor suggested?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is the procedure my doctor suggested?


I recently had a endoscopic ultrasound. I don't remember what test my doctor wants me to go for because I was under anesthesia. I had a stent put in about a year ago and they can't remove it because something is narrowing the bile duct. Theirs a stricture they couldn't see on the endoscopic ultrasound. He said something will be injected into that area, I don't remember much else. I've already had a ERCP so it's not that.


Based on the description that you provided here, I think that the only procedure that they would be doing (assuming that it's not a surgical operation) is an ERCP. To learn more about the procedure that you will be undergoing, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your gastroenterologist. If they were looking at your common bile duct by ultrasound, and could not find what they were looking for, and decided to do a procedure in which dye would be injected into that area to look for the problem, the only possible procedure they could be talking about is an ERCP. An ERCP can be repeated if needed and looks like it will be in you. This seems to be the case here. Perhaps they will look to see if the stricture is gone because of the stent or perhaps they want to remove the stent in place another one. In addition, I imagine that your doctors are going to want to find out why you are having a narrowing of your common bile duct. Finding the reason for this is sometimes just as important as fixing it. I am sure that your doctors have ruled out were planning on ruling out cancer as the cause. Again, to learn more about the procedure, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your gastroenterologist. He or she will be able to discuss the procedure in more detail.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.