ZocdocAnswersIt feels like I have something stuck in my throat - when I swallow it goes down then back up. What could it be?

Question

It feels like I have something stuck in my throat - when I swallow it goes down then back up. What could it be?

it feels like a popcorn size.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and I can certainly understand why they are disturbing. In order to determine the specific cause, a physician needs to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. You may also need to undergo additional testing. As such, I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. After a detailed review, the doctor can make recommendations on the next most appropriate step. Difficulty swallowing has many possible causes. Some neuromuscular disorders can cause weakness or poor coordination on the swallowing muscles, which could cause your symptoms. Disorders of the esophagus, such as nutcracker esophagus, eosinophilic esophagitis, or achalasia, can cause difficulty swallowing. An abnormal pouch extending off the esophagus, termed a Zenker's diverticulum, can cause swallowing problems. Severe gastroesophageal reflux disease can cause a foreign body sensation in the throat. A mass in the oropharynx or esophagus can also cause issues. Given the variety of potential causes, I recommend you see a gastroenterologist to discuss these possibilities. You may need to undergo other tests, such as a barium swallow or upper endoscopy, to further evaluate these symptoms. Once your doctor has these test results, they can discuss treatment options.