ZocdocAnswersI have been feeling absolutely physically and mentally exhausted and completely fatigued. What could it be?

Question

I have been feeling absolutely physically and mentally exhausted and completely fatigued. What could it be?

Im a 21 yr old female that is 23 weeks pregnant. I have been having severe pain in my upper right thigh around the hip area as well as pain in he lower part of my right leg, with some numbness and tingling all the way down to my ankle, I also have a tailbone injury from earlier this year that is causing me a lot of pain and discomfort now that I am pregnant, and lastly I have been very fatigued, and I don't mean I just pregnant and tired and need to rest, I mean I have been feeling absolutely physically and mentally exhausted and completely fatigued, any suggestions?

Answer

This is a good question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your OBGYN to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Growing another human being is exhausting enough by itself, let alone if you are dealing with other health issues. Your leg pain sounds like sciatica, a common nerve type pain during pregnancy, especially in someone who has had tailbone trauma previously. Ice can be very helpful or heat if this feels better. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is generally thought to be safe during pregnancy when needed but check with your doctor to be sure. Oftentimes, physical therapy or visits to a chiropractor can be a lifesaver during pregnancy. Your doctor will be able to refer you to therapists who are comfortable working with pregnant patients. Getting enough rest while pregnant can be very difficult so it is extra important to work on your sleep hygiene (going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, no TV or phones in your bed, etc). Sometimes, the stress and hormones of pregnancy coupled with constant pain can lead to depression so your doctor will likely screen for this. Again, it is very important to seek medical care as soon as possible.