ZocdocAnswersIs it ok to drink alcohol on this perscription?

Question

Is it ok to drink alcohol on this perscription?

Is it ok to drink alcohol while taking levofloxacin

Answer

Questions such as these should always be directed to the physician that prescribed this medication. In general, when it comes to drinking alcohol, most physicians will hopefully discuss with you this issue if drinking alcohol and taking this medication with cause some problem. In this case, I usually do not discuss alcohol consumption with patients that are taking levofloxacin. However, I would advise most patients if they asked me to limit their alcohol intake to 1 to 2 drinks while on the medication. Of course, this is the advice that I give to everybody whether the taking the medication or not. It certainly would not do you any good if you were to drink too much alcohol while on the antibiotic only to vomit the medication up potentially causing you to experience a worsening infection. There are other medications that we specifically asked people not to drink alcohol while on. Probably the most famous medication is Flagyl. This is an antibiotic that, when combined with alcohol, can cause people to feel very ill very quickly. It is not particularly dangerous, we just don't want our patients to get sick while on the antibiotic. Flagyl is a medication that is often used for vaginal infections. Please speak with your physician and good luck.