ZocdocAnswersI have wrist pain. What could it be?

Question

I have wrist pain. What could it be?

My wrist hurts on the back of my hand. It hurts when I push my hand forward. I have done some research and I think it has something to do with the scaphoid bone. The pain is sharp when i push it forward, but other than that it just aches. I don't remember doing anything besides some push ups. It mainly hurts under my index finger, near my wrist.

Answer

That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or a doctor specializing in hands such as an orthopedic surgeon. It is difficult to know the exact cause of the pain based upon the history provided, but a doctor can perform a complete history and physical examination and decide what is the cause of this and what is the appropriate treatment. Some of the symptoms are similar to those related to scaphoid bone fractures or injuries and it may be that this is the cause of your pain as you found in your research. That being said, it is not common to have a fracture from performing push ups and may be a sign of issues with the bone, such as osteoporosis (it is unclear your age and other comorbidities so it is difficult to know if you are at risk for osteoporosis) or it could be that you have a bone bruise and not a complete fracture. Usually, scaphoid bone fractures are common in elderly patients who have falls and land on their wrists when they put their arms out in front of themselves, which is not what you are describing. Please see a doctor to find out the exact cause of your symptoms.