search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My knee hurts. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersMy knee hurts. What could it be?

Question

I had PCL Reconstruction surgery in April but the other day I was running & tried to stop and the outerside of my knee bumped the bumper & bent in. I was fine it's been almost a week & I'm barely feeling the pain & it is killing me. I play baseball & it hurts to run & sometimes walk. The symptoms aren't like me PCL symptoms. I can bear weights & the knee isn't giving out on me it's just a sharp pain . Help please

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your knee pain. It is certainly frustrating to suffer another joint injury after a previous surgery. It is not possible from your description to know the cause of your pain. You will need an orthopedic surgeon to evaluate your prior records and perform a thorough physical exam. You may even require another MRI of your knee. I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees for further evaluation. Despite your pain being different than prior, it is still possible you have re-injured your PCL. Given the relative joint weakness compared to a healthy knee, you may have injured one of the other ligaments, such as your ACL or MCL. This could be a full tear or simply a sprain. It is possible you have suffered a torn meniscus, which could explain the pain. I cannot tell from your question the exact mechanism of the injury, but blunt trauma to the knee cap can cause a severe bruise or even a fracture. You could also have a fracture within the knee joint itself. It is not possible to determine the precise cause without an in-person evaluation, and I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedist.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances