Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is it a bruised bone or something more serious?"

ZocdocAnswersIs it a bruised bone or something more serious?


About 3 weeks ago, I was getting on the school bus and I tripped and hit my leg on the stairs. It didn't leave a bruise or anything, but whenever I touch about halfway below my knee it hurts and when pressure is placed on it, it hurts really badly. It doesn't hurt when I walk or anything, but if I were to jump I would feel a slight pain. Besides that, only when I touch it or wheb pressure is put on it, it hurts really bad. So I was just curious if this was just a bruised bone or something more serious?


I'm sorry to hear about your leg injury. Before we discuss your injury, I want to emphasize that you should always consult your physician or orthopaedic surgeon for definitive evaluation and treatment. Without being able to obtain an x-ray or examine you directly, it is impossible for me to diagnose you exactly. That said, based on your symptoms, I suspect that you likely just have a bone bruise or contusion. The fact that you are able to walk on that leg without pain reassures me that you likely did not fracture or break the underlying bone. On the other hand, the fact that it hurts exquisitely when you touch or put pressure on it suggests that you have an underlying bruise or contusion. Fortunately and unfortunately, this will get better on its own, but make some time. In the mean time, you can apply ice to the area to both minimize the inflammation and dull the pain. You can also take an anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen or Aleve to minimize the inflammation and pain. Again, if your pain is getting worse, or your symptoms otherwise change for the worse, please consult your physician or orthopaedic surgeon for definitive evaluation and treatment.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.