ZocdocAnswersDoes HPV related to genital warts go away from my body? Is it forever?

Question

Does HPV related to genital warts go away from my body? Is it forever?

I treated my genital warts from almost 1 year and 6 month and till this moment no warts has showed again . The virus is out from my body ? I'm still Abel to transmit the virus? at this moment after 1 year and 6 month without warts showed or because my body is already cured I don't know

Answer

If you are concerned about genital warts, I recommend that you see your primary care doctor or other healthcare professional for formal evaluation. Human papilloma virus (HPV) is a virus that causes local proliferation of the skin tissue in a cauliform like shape, forming the warts that you observe. Unfortunately, there is no cure for the HPV virus, only a vaccine for some of the most common strains, that is useful for the prevention of cervical cancer. There are many strains of the virus, some are benign and have no associated symptoms, while others are associated with wart production, and still others are associated with the development of cervical cancer in women, or throat cancer in both men and women. Warts can be treated with topical agents, however, their removal does not mean the virus is gone. Once a person is infected, he or she will likely have the virus for the duration of his or her lifetime, though it may not be active. Whether the virus becomes active again after long periods of inactivity is difficult to predict. Nonetheless, it is important to provide full disclosure to sexual partners, as the virus can still be passed on even if warts may not be visible. Again, please speak with your primary care doctor.