Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I am having neck pain. What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI am having neck pain. What should I do?


Let me start with that im a recovering iv addict of meth. Im almost at ninety days clean now and all of a sudden I woke up two weeks ago not able to look left. The left side of my neck from behind the ear to the shoulder hurt so bad and was stiff. After days of heat and ib profin it mellowed out some. Then I wake up this morning and it its beginning to move to the right side. Now I also have have lots of joints cracking all over my body and lots of.muscle aches. I do remember one time when I was trying to find a vein with meth in my hand I missed and my left side of my body was numb for a week. I dont know if that plays a part in it. I have no insurance so should I go to an er?


Thanks for your question. The safest thing is to always speak with a doctor to make sure that there is not a serious problem that is happening. There are times that infections can happen in the neck, and these infections can be very serious because of the number of important structures that run through the neck. Some of these include nerves that are relevant to moving some of the muscles of your upper extremities, and others are the very important arteries and veins that run through your neck to and from your head. Often, if people have an infection, they will also have symptoms of an infection, such as a high fever, swelling, redness, etc. These can be more common in those with a history of injecting drugs, as this allows serious and dangerous bacteria direct access to the rest of the body through the arteries and veins. If it has been a while since your last injection, then it may make an infection less likely. Swelling and pain can also happen from muscle spasms that come with poor posture or increased exertion out of the norm. There are also some other possible explanations. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.