ZocdocAnswersMy bottom lip is swollen bad, should I be safe to fall asleep?

Question

My bottom lip is swollen bad, should I be safe to fall asleep?

I ate a piece of pizza and now my lip is swollen, took childrens allergy relief, and put ice on it. not having issue breathing

Answer

You should speak with your doctor. Swelling of the lips is often one of the first signs of an allergic reaction that can involve the upper airway and make it quite difficult to breath in some cases. One of the most common causes of this sort of swelling can be some common blood pressure medications. If you are taking blood pressure medication, speaking with your doctor is important at the first sign of this sort of swelling. This is because the swelling can progress rapidly and cause a person to be not be able to breathe or swallow. You may notice that your voice is changing, and this would be a very concerning symptom as it could mean that the swelling is dropping into other parts of your airway. The same can also be said as you start to notice any difficulty with swallowing. If any of these are happening, you need to call 911 or go immediately to the closest emergency department for medical treatment. An ear nose and throat surgeon may be called upon to evaluate your airway as well and make sure that the swelling is not so severe that it requires a short term breathing tube. Again, please speak with your doctor immediately.