Can the pain from pleurisy also be felt in your back?
I have asthma from contracting pneumonia (@ least 3x's),constantly spitting up phlegm(thickness varies),can not go out in any cool/cold weather,the same symptoms except pain is in my back,had 2 learn the difference between the asthma & this pain,please help!
The short answer to your question is yes, pleurisy can cause back pain as well as chest pain. Pleurisy, also known as pleuritic pain is pain caused by inflammation or irritation of the outer lining of the lung called the pleura. Pleurisy can be caused by many different problems including (but not limited to) infection of the lung, pulmonary embolism, systemic illness, among others. Pleuritic chest pain is generally defined as pain that increases or starts when you take a deep breath or cough. These are the actions that can instigate or exacerbate inflammation in the pleura. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a pulmonologist. The reason for this is that I am concerned about your report of recurrent infection and I wonder if further investigation is needed. If you have not had them, your doctors should consider getting a set of pulmonary function tests. This can help determine if there is something wrong with your lungs. Specifically, they might be helpful in determining if you have asthma and whether or not that is controlled You might benefit from medications such as an inhalers steroid to control it better. The recurrent infections might need to be worked up with testing for problems with your immune system. Again, please speak with a pulmonologist and good luck.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.
Search for an answer:
- I am concern over CT results. Is there something to worry about?
- My dad got a CT Scan and doctors found 12 tiny nodules all under 5mm in my dad's lungs, and kidney. Is this most likely cancer? And if it is early on do we have a better chance fighting it?
- My 4 year old oxygen level dropped during routine surgery. Why would his oxygen level drop and not come back up quickly?
- My father was operated for Adeno Carcinoma in 2010 and now nodular lesion in his lungs were detected. Is it something to worry about?
- I have a recurring cough due to allergic bronchitis. What could it be?
Need More Info?