What would cause one's face to tingle?

My face has been tingling for days, and I can't figure out why. I'm a middle-aged woman and I've never felt anything like this. What could cause someone's face to tingle?
Tingling of the face can be caused by many different things and the specialists involved in making a diagnosis and providing treatment can involve general medicine internists, general family practitioners and endocrinologists. Tingling in the face can point to many different causes. If the tingling comes on by it's own it is important to figure out what is going on when the tingling is occurring. Sometimes the tingling can be caused by electrolyte (the metals in our body) abnormalities. Specifically you can have a problem with low calcium levels which have been known to cause "around the mouth" or peri-oral tingling. This can be caused by high altitude, anxiety and endocrine problems. Other causes of tingling can be infectious in nature, drugs that cause acid-base disturbances in your body and loss of gastrointestinal contents that can shift your electrolytes and cause facial tingling. While a general practitioner/internist can find out the reason for the facial tingling, it is possible that there might be more complex reasons for the facial tingling. In this situation it would be helpful to have the input of an endocrinologist via referral.

Other Endocrinologists