ZocdocAnswersAt what age should men start shaving?

Question

At what age should men start shaving?

I'm a 16-year-old guy, and I don't have any facial hair at all ? not even fuzz. Is this normal? All of my guy friends are shaving, so I feel like I'm not developing right.

Answer

Puberty can be a rough time for young men and women especially because not all the features we expect happen. At your age, you could still be seeing your pediatrician but soon you will need to transition to a family doctor. These are great questions to bring up with him or her. As you may know young men tend to hit puberty later then young women. Boys at age 14-16 begin to develop pubic hair, axillary (arm pit) hair, and testicular and penile enlargement. Oftentimes, facial hair follows many years later. Many men do not start growing significant facial hair until they reach college. Trust me, when you start having to shave you will miss the days when you didn't have to do it. With that said however there are conditions when normal puberty and development are stunted. Other symptoms such as lack of testicular enlargement or scant pubic hair could be signs of a medical condition. Only your doctor will be able to tell the difference. Although you may not have any more medical problems, usually young men need to see a doctor at least once a year for a sports or school physical. Bring the issue up with your doctor then. Good luck.