ZocdocAnswersDoes menstruation continue after a uterine biopsy?

Question

Does menstruation continue after a uterine biopsy?

My partner and I have been having trouble conceiving, and my doctor recommended a uterine biopsy to help diagnose the problem. Will this interfere with my normal menstruation?

Answer

Menstruation is a complex process with many hormonal and structural influences. I would encourage you to discuss this question with your obstetrician. There are OBs that specialize in reproductive endocrinology and infertility who could be of further assistance if you have more questions. In general the process of a uterine biopsy should not interfere with normal menstruation. The procedure is fairly simple. It normally occurs in the physician's office. They will position you as if you were to have a pap smear. The doctor will use a speculum to find the cervix, and insert a thin plastic device through the cervix (the opening of the uterus that is located at the back of the vaginal canal). The uterus is a fairly large structure. The biopsy grabs only a small piece of the inner lining which is then taken out and examined. Normal menstruation involves the shedding of the entire uterine lining, so removing a small piece of the lining should not make a difference. The other component of menstruation is the hormonal regulation--which is not affected. There are, however, complications that can occur from the biopsy--such as bleeding, infection and or pain. Talk to your doctor about your concerns.