What causes swollen eyelids?

I'm a 19-year-old woman, and my eyelids are often swollen. I have allergies, but I'm not sure that they're related. Are swollen eyelids common, or should I speak with an eye doctor?
Swollen eyelids can have a number of different causes. Also, there are several different types of specialists that should be able to help you. Your family practice doctor should be able to get you started, as there are some questions that need answers before we can know for sure what is going on. First, it is important to know how often this happens, and what other symptoms you are having. If you find that the swelling is related to times that you are having allergies in other areas, then it would make sense that this swelling is allergic as well. Also, if you are having symptoms such as increased tearing, red eyes, or irritation, those could also be signs of an allergic cause. Other important things to know include how long this has been happening for, what other medical conditions you have, if you have a family history of thyroid disease, and what medications you are taking. Additionally, when you say eyelids, is the rest of your eye swollen as well, or is it just the lids above and below the eyes? Answers to these questions will guide your doctor in making recommendations, as some other conditions can present with swelling around the eyes. An otolaryngologist (ear-nose-throat surgeon), dermatologist, or ophthalmologist will all also likely be able to help you with your question.

Other Ophthalmologists