ZocdocAnswersCan one get rid of hemorrhoids?

Question

Can one get rid of hemorrhoids?

I'm a woman and I'm only 22, but I have pretty bad hemorrhoids. I've tried treating them with over-the-counter medications, but I'd rather be completely rid of them. What are my options?

Answer

There are a number of options to treat hemorrhoids in addition to the treatments found over the counter. First, it's important to know that there are two types of hemorrhoids: internal and external. Internal hemorrhoids can cause bleeding and discomfort, but are typically not as painful, whereas external steroids are supplied by a different part of the nervous system and can be quite painful. First, and perhaps the most important treatment is to change your bowel habits to help prevent hemorrhoids from continuing to occur. Hemorrhoids occur because of an increase in pressure inside your abdomen which is transmitted to the blood vessels around the anus and can occur from a number of reasons including straining while having a bowel movement. To prevent straining you should eat a diet that is rich in fiber and also stay well hydrated. These measures alone may significantly reduce your symptoms. The next simple treatment is topical steroids which can decrease symptoms of itching and discomfort. A primary care doctor can prescribe either topical steroids for external hemorrhoids or steroid suppositories for internal steroids. However, it is important to know that steroids should only be used for occasional and short-term treatment. If the hemorrhoids are more significant there are other procedures to treat them. The first option is banding of the hemorrhoids, which is frequently the most successful. A band is placed around the hemorrhoids which will cut off the blood supply and cause the hemorrhoid tissue to die and be shed. If this therapy is not successful two other options are sclerotherapy where a chemical agent is injected into the hemorrhoid tissue and causes the tissue to slough off and scar. Another option is called infrared photocoagulation which uses radiation to achieve the same results. However, with all of these options it is important to see your primary care physician who can evaluate your hemorrhoids and help direct you to the appropriate therapy.

Search for an answer:

Need More Info?