ZocdocAnswersWhat are the signs of teething?

Question

What are the signs of teething?

My three-month-old daughter has been crying and fidgeting a lot recently. She hasn't begun teething yet, so I'm wondering if this is the start. How will I know when she is definitely teething?

Answer

The first teeth usually start to come in around 6 or 7 months. It is possible for teeth to come in as early as 3 months, but that would be on the early side. Therefore, I think the most important thing to do is make sure your daughter doesn't have something else going on. Especially if she has a fever, if she looks lethargic at all, or if her activity or feeding patterns are off, you will need to bring her in to see your pediatrician. Common infections at this age that could cause symptoms of crying and fidgeting include urinary tract infections or ear infections. If there does not turn out to be any signs of another problem then you might think this could be teething. The problem is that the signs attributed to teething (such as crying, not sleeping, not eating well, drooling, low grade temperature, etc) could also be due to a more serious problem. Therefore, in a child who is only 3 months old, I would definitely recommend relying on your pediatrician to make this call for you. If you cannot get in to see your pediatrician right away, then you could also have your child evaluated in the emergency room.