Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

What could cause chills but no fever?

Last night, when I tried to go to sleep, I started feeling really strong chills that kept me awake. I took my temperature, but it was normal. Is there a sickness that could cause chills, but no fever?
Since chills can be a sign of infection, you may want to bring this up with your primary care physician. He or she will be able to examine you and take a more detailed history about how your feeling and make a better decision from that information. While chills and fever often come together, they don't necessarily have to. Chills (also known as rigors), are caused by your body's attempt to burn energy and increase your body temperature. This happens usually when your body is trying to fight off an infection. Thus, chills assist in causing fever, but often arrive first before your body temperature actually goes up. The most common causes of chills in the setting of infection are Influenza, Pneumonia, Kidney infections etc. If you felt normal the next morning, then either your chills were not the cause of the infection, or your body may have fought it off. Another cause of just feeling cold include hormonal deficiencies such as hypothyroidism (not having enough thyroid hormone). If you continue to feel cold, you doctor can perform a TSH test to measure your thyroid function. Good luck, I hope you stay warm.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N