search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What causes scalp odor?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat causes scalp odor?

Question

If I don't wash my hair every day, it starts giving off this really unpleasant smell. I've tried changing my brand of shampoo, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there something wrong with my scalp?

Answer

Anytime we think that our body is emitting an unpleasant odor it can be a source of anxiety for us. Problems like this can be brought up with your primary care physician who can examine your scalp and, in the context of your medical history give you the best advice. Your doctor may decide to refer you to a dermatologist if needed. Certainly if we go multiple days without washing a part of our bodies, an unpleasant odor can arise. Although most often these odors arise from areas like our armpits, other areas can be involved as well. However, it is quite unusual for your scalp to emit a smell after only one day of not washing it. In one day, there should be enough sweat, oil accumulation, and bacterial growth to cause an unpleasant smell. I think you should be checked out soon. The scalp can be infected by a variety of pathogens but the most likely in your case is a fungus (perhaps tinea capitus?). These types of infections can be treated with oral antibiotics. Only your doctor can determine what you have (if any infection) and determine the right mode of treatment. Good luck.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances