ZocdocAnswersAre annual checkups necessary for one in their 20's.

Question

Are annual checkups necessary for one in their 20's.

I'm in my early 20s, but my parents insist that I get an annual checkup. I think they're unnecessary, because I'm a healthy young guy, but my parents won't listen. Is an annual checkup really necessary at my age?

Answer

It is good to hear that you are in such good health! However, I still think it is always worth seeing your primary care doctor once a year. The annual physical examination is a great time to ask any question about your health to your doctor. It also gives your doctor a chance to make sure there is nothing serious going on with your health. Common conditions that younger people may be dealing with include high blood pressure, sexually transmitted disease, depression or other mood problems, substance use problems (like tobacco and alcohol), and problems with being overweight. Your doctor will focus on these and other related issues, and will provide you with testing or treatment options if they are necessary. Also if you need help with losing weight, exercise, eating healthy, or other lifestyle issues, your doctor will be able to give you some advice and provide you with resources that can help you. You may also need some vaccinations, which your doctor can provide. For these reasons, as well as others, it is a good idea to see your doctor regularly. The annual physical gets you in the habit of checking in with your doctor to stay healthy rather than just going when you have a problem.