Are sore thighs normal during pregnancy?

Is it typical for women to have sort thighs when they are pregnant? I am 26 and pregnant with my first child, so I don't really know what to expect, but my thighs are extremely tender when I stand or walk. What should I do?
Pregnancy is a time with many new body sensations and challenges that women encounter and they change as you get closer to term. Your OB is the best resource for you to approach with any problems you encounter during pregnancy. Muscle soreness from pregnancy is common. Usually the reason you get sore is that you are carrying more weight in a frontal distribution. This causes you to use muscles you don't normally use as much, and as a result, they get sore. Thighs muscles are responsible for helping you walk, keeping you balance, and keeping your posture. All of these activities are more challenging during your pregnancy and can stress these muscles. As you get closer to term, your hip bones begin to loosen in preparation for delivery. This can result in the sensation that your hips are being separated which can also be described as hip pain. There are examples of muscle pain that are more common in pregnancy that are not normal. For example, pain the calf muscle can be a sign of a blood clot in your leg (something pregnant women are more susceptible to). Pain in this area especially when the muscle is stretched should prompt you to see your doctor right away. Good luck with the new baby!

Nearby OB-GYNs