Click to book now:

Are bumps on the penis a sign of an STD?

I just noticed this morning that I have small white bumps on the head of my penis. I'm 22, and I've never noticed this before. I am sexually active, but I have had almost entirely protected sex. Is this an STD, or something else?
Any new finding on the penis can be a source of anxiety for any man. It is a very good idea to present this problem to your primary care physician (either family doctor or internist). You can only be diagnosed and treated (if treatment is necessary) after a physician examines you and get a detailed history. White bumps on the head of the penis can be one of several things. If they are something that has been around for a few years, and you just took notice of them, they could be something called Pearly Penile Papules. These are very common, normal, non STD white bumps that often surround the head of the penis. Because they are benign, they are not usually treated because the treatment is too risky compared to the benefit. On the other hand, if they just appeared and are not surrounding the head of the penis, then they may be an STD. The most common type of STD that presents as small, painless white bumps is HPV (the cause of genital warts). Genital warts are treated by freezing them off, or with medicated creams. Only your doctor can tell the difference between the different types of penis bumps. Although it can be difficult sometimes, you will always be glad you got checked out. Good luck, and remember to keep using protection.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N