Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

What causes a uterus to become enlarged?

I am a 41-year-old woman, and a month ago I began having unusual cramping and vaginal bleeding. I've done a lot of reasearch, and I'm pretty sure I have the symptoms of an enlarged uterus. What could cause a uterus to become enlarged?
The symptoms you are having could be one of several things. An enlarged uterus is not actually a diagnosis, however there are several uterine conditions which could cause your symptoms of unusual cramping and vaginal bleeding along with an enlarged uterus. The best type of physician for you to see about this is an OBGYN. Common conditions that cause unusual cramping and vaginal bleeding include uterine fibroids and adenomyosis. Both of these can also cause an enlarged uterus. Uterine fibroids are basically benign uterine tumors that form in many women. They almost never progress to cancer but they can cause pelvic pain and excessive bleeding. Adenomyosis is an abnormal growth of the inner lining of the uterus into the outer lining. It also can cause pelvic pain, abnormal bleeding and an enlarged uterus. The treatment for these two depends on the severity of your symptoms and if you have desire for more kids. Finally and more rarely, uterine cancer (called endometrial cancer) can cause these symptoms. Only this requires a uterine biopsy for diagnosis. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can take a detailed history of your pelvic symptoms and perform a through pelvic exam including an ultrasound. If the diagnosis is in question, then you may need a uterine biopsy. Hopefully, you get get a diagnosis and treatment plan quickly.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!