ZocdocAnswersCan women get jock itch?

Question

Can women get jock itch?

I'm a woman in my early 30s, and recently I've been having symptoms that seem an awful lot like jock itch. That would make sense, because I'm a fitness fanatic who sweats a lot, but I thought only men got jock itch. Can women get it too?

Answer

The diagnosis and management of "jock itch" (or Tinea cruris) should involve the care of specialists including internists, dermatologists, and others. Tinea cruris is a form of superficial fungal infection that involves the groin region. Tina cruris is far more common in men than women but certainly can occur in women. It is associated with physical activity associated with a significant amount of sweating. It starts as a red patch high on the inner part of one or both thighs. The diagnosis is made by its typical appearance as well as under the microscope from skin scrapings processed with potassium hydroxide. Other possible diagnoses include inverse psoriasis, erythasma, seborrheic dermatitis, and candidal intertrigo. Once the diagnosis is established, usually a topical antifungal is sufficient but if the rash persists, then antifungal pills are next in line. Prevention of Tinea cruris can be achieved by keeping the area dry using certain powders (such as talcum, etc). Avoiding hot baths and tight-fitting clothing help with prevention. Also, women should wear cotton underwear and avoid tight-fitting pants as well to prevent recurrences. It is not possible to establish a diagnosis or treatment plan without seeing a patient. It is the strong recommendation to seek referral to a dermatologist to be evaluated in person.