Can hysterectomies cause low blood count?

A few years ago, I had a hysterectomy as a result of ovarian cancer. The cancer has not returned, and I'm otherwise in good health, but my doctor recently informed me that I had a low blood count. Could this be the result of my hysterectomy?
As you know a hysterectomy is when the uterus and fallopian tubes are removed. Often the ovaries and cervix are also removed which is likely the case with your surgery. A low blood count can mean one of 3 things. It can mean you have low white blood cells, red blood cells or platelets. When physicians say "you have a low blood count," nine times out of ten they mean you have low red blood cells (though I can't be sure in this case). Having low red blood cell counts is also known as having a low hematocrit, low hemoglobin, or more commonly just "anemia". A low Hematocrit can be caused by a wide variety of conditions including low iron, a slow bleed in your stomach or intestines, a vitamin deficiency, a problem with your bone marrow, a problem with your kidneys, or simply your body battling a chronic disease. Simple blood tests your doctor can perform can determine which of these possible causes is most likely. Certainly the hysterectomy can cause anemia do to blood loss during the surgery. However, this would be resolved with a few weeks to months afterwards and would not persist after that. Therefore, the answer to your question is probably not, you low blood count is likely not due to your hysterectomy. You should ask you doctor what the work-up is for your low blood count and try to get to the bottom of it. Good luck.