What are the best exercises for weight loss?

I'm a 38-year-old woman, and I'm trying to lose weight. I do a pretty good job of controlling my diet, but I have no idea where to start with exercise. What are the best kind of exercises for someone who's out of shape to start losing weight?
As with any exercise regimen, it is important that you first consult your primary care doctor because they will be best able to evaluate your medical history, presenting problems and decide upon the appropriate exercise regimen that will fit your lifestyle and medical history. If you have no medical problems, and no arthritis or joint disease, it is often advisable to pick an exercise program that is enjoyable to you, as it is very unlikely that you will continue any exercise program that you do not enjoy. Keeping your exercise regimen varied is also a good way to keep you interested and keep you on goal. Maybe try cardio one day, followed by lifting exercises the next. Stretching exercises have been shown to improve mood and keep you limber so that you avoid hurting yourself, so consider including some yoga or other stretching exercises prior to beginning your work out. Keeping a healthy diet is also very important to help with weight loss and again, variety is important to keep you interested and keep you aimed towards your goal of weight loss. Studies have shown that being a part of a group that exercises and is dedicated towards weight loss is also a good method to lose weight and keep it off.

• Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    6801 Park Terrace Dr
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251