ZocdocAnswersWhat causes sudden blurred vision?

Question

What causes sudden blurred vision?

I'm a 31-year-old man, and have always had good vision. But every once in a while, my vision will become suddenly blurry. It usually clears up pretty quickly, but it still worries me when it happens. What is causing these sudden bouts of blurriness?

Answer

This is a concerning symptom. I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. While this could be a sign of a minor condition, or even normal, there are some causes of blurred vision that are very concerning. Talk to your doctor. If necessary, he or she may refer you to an eye specialist (ophthamologist). Firstly, blurred vision can occasionally be normal. This occurs in the situation in which someone is moving between far and close objects. This blurriness can occur as the eyes are "accommodating" to the new depth and this can lag for some time. Other normal causes of blurred vision can be if there is some fluid on the eye (tears). Some minor causes might be worsened vision, astigmatism or even a minor viral or allergic conjunctivitis. There are some worrisome causes of blurriness that should be ruled out. If there is not enough blood getting to the eyes, there can be blurriness. This can be similar to a stroke! Another causes is from increased pressure in the head. This can be from bleeding, a brain mass or even very high blood pressure. Talk to your doctor. If you are otherwise well, this could be a minor condition. That being said, vision is so delicate and there are many scary causes -- these should be ruled out. Good luck!