Can body fungus cause acne?

I'm a woman in my 40s, and a while back I had a bout of jock itch. This wasn't too surprising, because I'm a fitness freak and always at the gym. But now I'm getting pimples down there, too. Can a body fungus (like jock itch) cause acne, or are these two separate problems?
Often, different types of skin conditions can appear in similar areas of the body. These simple rashes like jock itch and acne usually can be assessed by your primary care physician. Dermatologists are sometimes consulted for the more complex ones. While jock itch and acne can often appear in same part of the body, they are not technically related or causes of each other. Jock itch is an infection of the fungus tinea cruris which prefers areas of the body that are most (hence why athletes and those that exercise get it). Similarly, acne can develop in areas of skin where hair follicles are plugged by body oil and other moisture. So while they are not causes of each other, conditions that invite these problems are similar. Acne is occurs when a hair follicle is plugged up and sebaceous glands secrete a substance called sebum allowing certain bacteria to grow and cause a pimple. Therefore jock itch is caused by a fungus and acne is exacerbated by a bacteria. Unfortunately, acne can be tougher to treat. It is best if you consult with you primary care physician before starting any treatment. Also remember, no matter what the complication, the exercise you do is good for you. Good luck.

Nearby Dermatologists

• Dr. Jeffrey Ainspan
    Dr. Jeffrey Ainspan MD
    Dermatologist
    308A East 15th Street
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Peter Chien
    Dr. Peter Chien MD, PhD, FAAD
    Dermatologist
    37 East 28th St
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Lian Mack
    Dr. Lian Mack MD
    Dermatologist
    130 East 18th St
    New York, NY 10003