Are whiteheads around nipples common?

Is it normal for a woman to get pimples on her breasts? I'm a young woman and I sometimes get whiteheads around my nipples. What is the best way to treat this? Is it the same as facial acne?
There are many different causes of skin changes on the breasts. Physicians who would be well qualified to discuss this condition with you include your primary care doctor, family medicine doctor, or OB/GYN physician. The most common cause of small pimple-like or whitehead-like structures on the areola, which is the colored area of the breast surrounding the nipple, are the Montgomery glands. These are normal skin glands of the areola which often produce a thick whitish secretion which can look like pus from a whitehead. However, this is a normal secretion and in fact it is important not to press on these glands as they can become irritated and infected. These glands can come and go from time to time. True pimples and whiteheads can also form around the nipple, just as they can form all over the body. This can be differentiated from the Montgomery glands because they are usually reddened, inflamed, or painful like true whitehead, say on the face. The treatment for these whiteheads would be the same as for on the face or elsewhere on the skin. As always diagnosis and management of your particular condition will require a physical examination with your personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor or OB/GYN doctor is recommended.