ZocdocAnswersWhat causes pelvic pain at night?

Question

What causes pelvic pain at night?

My pelvis has begun aching at night when I'm trying to sleep. It's usually gone my the morning, but I still worry, especially being a woman. What are the possible causes? Should I see a doctor?

Answer

Pelvic pain is a common condition in women. While some cases are simple and passing, there are many possible causes that require early medical intervention. I strongly encourage you to see your primary care doctor. A common cause of pelvic pain in women is problems with the gynecologic organs (that is, the ovaries or the uterus). Common causes are sexually transmitted disease, ovarian cysts or endometriosis. Vaginal infections such as vaginitis can have similar consequences. The urinary tract is another cause of pelvic pain. Urinary tract infections can cause pain. The gastrointestinal organs can also cause pain--such as appendicitis, constipation or diverticulitis. Irritable Bowel Syndrome is also a common cause. These are all relatively common and serious conditions that require medical attention. Any of these conditions can occasionally be worsened in the night as laying down can change the local anatomy and exacerbate the pain. There are many causes for pain in the pelvis, any of which can be exacerbated at night. It is difficult to know which of the 100s of causes may be in play without further information and a physical exam. If all of these are ruled out...then a diagnosis of chronic pelvic pain syndrome may be in play. I would strongly encourage you to see your doctor.