Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Are white spots normal on one's clitoris?

I'm worried about my clitoris because I've been noticing white spots on it that I've never noticed before. Is this normal? They're about the size of a period on a printed page. I just want to make sure that this isn't an STD.
Skin rashes and spots on the genital are a common skin concern. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your OB / GYN doctor or your primary care doctor. A common cause of white spots on the vulva and skin of the clitoris is a yeast infection. This generally involves reddening and inflammation of the skin, with a white discharge on top. The areas can be generally painful or itchy and there can be a thick white vaginal discharge. Often over the counter anti fungal creams are quite effective. On the other hand, herpes, which is a sexually transmitted infection caused by a virus, can also cause small spots on the genital. These are more rounded, often blisters containing clear liquid. The blisters usually sit on a red base. They can be very painful or have a burning sensation. Unlike a yeast infection, they are not as generalized over all the skin of the genitals, and they should be evaluated by a doctor. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your dermatologist or your primary care doctor might be advised.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!