What causes restless leg syndrome?

Is restless leg syndrome a real thing? I feel like it's just a joke, but my legs are basically always bouncing or twitching, and sometimes it feels more like spasms. If I have RLS, what's causing it and how is it really treated?
Restless leg syndrome is a recognized condition among doctors. It is best evaluated and treated by a Neurologist. People with restless leg syndrome (RLS) have an urge to move their legs that usually occurs with an uncomfortable feeling in their legs as well. These urges and unpleasant feelings are worse in the evening and when you are lying or sitting down. The uncomfortable sensations in the legs get better when you move them. The cause of RLS in most cases is not known. However, RLS can be due to several other medical conditions, including anemia, kidney disease, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, and varicose veins. Additionally, researchers are currently investigating whether RLS is caused by a problem with dopamine, one of the chemicals in the brain. There are many different treatments available for RLS. Caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol can make the symptoms worse, so they are best avoided. Sometimes doctors prescribe iron pills for this condition. Finally, a Neurologist can help decide if there are other medicines that help with the unpleasant feelings and leg movements. These medicines include sleeping pills and medicines that increase the amount of dopamine in the body.

Nearby Neurologists

Other Neurologists