ZocdocAnswersIs it easier to get pregnant after a miscarriage?

Question

Is it easier to get pregnant after a miscarriage?

My wife and I have gotten pregnant twice, and both times it has ended in miscarriage. Does this mean we're at a greater risk of having another miscarriage if we get pregnant again? It has been hard, and we don't want to go through it again.

Answer

Miscarriages are extremely common. If your wife has had 2 of them now, it would definitely be prudent to get checked by her OBGYN in order to make sure there are no reversible causes she may have. This way you can be sure that you are doing everything you possibly can to try and have a successful pregnancy. Unfortunately, on average women who have had miscarriages are more likely to have them in the future. Current data suggests that women who have had 2 miscarriages have on average a 28% chance of having another one. This is higher than the 13-26% chance of having a miscarriage in a woman who has never had a miscarriage. If your wife has a history of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, this may be a cause of the increase in her risk of miscarriage. However, most women that miscarry have no reason that is diagnosed. I suggest you and your wife consult with an OBGYN to discuss this issue. He or she can review your wife's past medical history, perform a detailed physical exam, and hopefully find a reversible cause that is increasing her risk of miscarriage. If nothing is found, then you may just want to try again. Good luck.