Book now. It's free!

What causes period-like cramping all month long?

For nearly a month I've been having cramps that feel like period cramps, Obviously they're not my period, if they're lasting this long. Could this actually just be stomach trouble of some kind, or does it have something to do with my period?
There are many causes of cramping in the lower abdomen, some of which do require medical evaluation and treatment. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. There are several causes of pelvic or lower abdominal pain that relate to the reproductive system. For example, sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea and chlamydia are very common causes of cramping, menstrual-like pain between periods. These can be ruled out by simple tests performed by your doctor. Fibroids, or small benign muscle growths in the uterus can cause cramping at all times of the month. Similarly, endometriosis, which is the growth of tissue like the lining of the uterus but outside the uterus, in the abdominal cavity, can also cause this type of pain. A urinary tract infection can sometimes behave like cramping pain, especially if there is burning with urination or frequent urination. Finally, constipation is a very common cause of abdominal cramping pain in women. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is advised.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!