ZocdocAnswersHow soon after tube tying does one's period start?

Question

How soon after tube tying does one's period start?

How long after getting your tubes tied should it take for your period to start again? I just got my tubes tied last month, and I haven't yet had my period. I don't want to overreact, but I do want to make sure everything's returning to normal.

Answer

Getting your tubes tied (also known as a tubal ligation) can be performed surgically by cutting the tubes and sewing the ends shut, by placing a surgical clip around the tubes, or by inserting an object in the tubes to cause the inner tubing to close down. The third procedure does not require and incision. In theory, none of these procedures should have any effect on your cycles. Your periods are controlled by hormones from the hypothalamus, and pituitary gland interacting with the ovaries to produce estrogen and progesterone. The ligation of the fallopian tubes will not interrupt this cycle. One possibility is the stress you endured because of the procedure may have caused a small temporary imbalance in your hormones causing a delay in your period. If this isn't the cause, then you may be late for an entirely different reason. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN or whoever performed the tubal ligation. He or she should be able to help you get to the bottom of why your periods are delayed. If you have already started your cycle by the time you get this answer, then you'll know you can just return to your doctor for routine follow up. Good luck.