Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can abdominal pain occur after a miscarriage?"


I lost my first child to miscarriage two months ago, and obviously I'm still pretty upset. But since then, I've been having on-again off-again pain in my lower abdomen area. Is this a normal side-effect of miscarriage, and if so why? What is happening?


Questions about pregnancy or pregnancy loss are best answered by an obstetrician. In particular, any new changes in the health of a pregnant or recently pregnant woman should be evaluated by a physician. Losing a pregnancy can be an emotionally and physically taxing experience for a woman.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Obgyns near you

Most women will experience some abdominal pain and cramping in the setting of a miscarriage. The degree of discomfort and the return to pre-pregnancy condition may vary from woman to woman, depending on the stage of the pregnancy at the time of miscarriage. However, the abdominal pain associated with the loss of a pregnancy does not typically last for a two month period. In this case, it would be very important to be seen by your obstetrician for a further exam. There are many reasons why a pregnancy can end, one of which is ectopic pregnancy or pregnancy outside of the uterus. In this case, a miscarriage may cause anatomical changes in a woman's body that are not normal and should be evaluated. Furthermore, at the time of miscarriage it is possible for parts of the placenta to be retained inside the uterus and not be expelled with the remainder of the products of conception. Retained placental tissue can cause painful cramping and may also lead to a life-threatening infection. A simple ultrasound evaluation can be used to determined whether all of the placenta has been passed from the uterus. Overall, abdominal pain should not typically last for 2 months following a miscarriage. These symptoms should be evaluated by an obstetrician.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.