Click to book now:

What causes periods to last for two weeks?

The last time I was on my period, I bled for at least two weeks. Should I just go to a doctor? I've never had any kind of trouble like that before. I'm terrified that it will happen again. What can cause that kind of bleeding? It wasn't heavy but it didn't stop.
Every aspect of a women's cycle is sensitive to many changes from hormonal, uterine, ovarian, and blood issues. Having a long period 1 time is not really that concerning, but bleeding for more than 1 week multiple cycles requires an investigation. The bleeding you experienced is called Menorrhagia, meaning excessive menstrual bleeding at the normal time. I'll discuss some of the causes below. 1. Clotting disorders - If you have a blood clotting problem, it can manifest as heavy bleeding during your cycle. 2. Uterine fibroids - Very common benign uterine tumor. They may be removed if pregnancy is desired down the road, or removed through hysterectomy if no more children are desired. 3. Uterine polyps - These are small growths in the uterus that can bleed excessively 4. Adenomyosis - Growth of the inner lining of the uterus into the outer layer. Number one is diagnosed with simple blood tests. Numbers 2-4 can be diagnosed through imaging such as an ultrasound. My suggestion is that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN if you have another episode of menorrhagia (bleeding more than 1 week). He or she will examine you, perhaps order some blood tests, and hopefully get to the bottom of your issue. Good luck.