What causes lesions to form within the eylid?

I was having pain and swelling in my eyelid last night, and this morning it was even worse. I just peeled back my eyelid and found what looks like a lesion on the INSIDE. What could cause this? How can I treat it? How common is this problem? Is my vision at risk?
The evaluation of eyelid lesions should be carried out by specialists such as internists, ophthalmologists, and others. Eyelid lesions can either be benign or malignant. Typical benign lesions are xanthelasmas, chalazions, hordeolum, and molluscum contagiosum. Xanthelasmas are cholesterol deposits around the eyelids that usually involve both eyelids. A chalazion is an obstruction of a sweat gland that forms a chronic swelling; sometimes this can be inflamed and cause pain. Molluscum contagiosum is from a virus and forms painless, shiny, small nodules. A hordeolum (or stye) is an acute bacterial infection than can cause significant swelling, redness, and pain. These are all common, benign problems. A hordeolum, if it progresses without resolution should involve prompt medical management. Warm compresses can be used (for at least 15 minutes four times daily). Sometimes, a topical antibiotic can be used. If the swelling does not resolve, then one should see an ophthalmologist. Certain cancers, such as basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, keratoacanthoma, and sebaceous carcinomas, can occur and should be evaluated. It is not possible to develop a diagnosis and management plan without seeing the patient. It is therefore the strong recommendation to seek a referral to an ophthalmologist to be evaluated in person.

Other Ophthalmologists

• Dr. Ayman Matta
    Dr. Ayman Matta MD
    99 Dutch Hill Rd
    Orangeburg, NY 10962
  • Dr. John Nicolau
    Dr. John Nicolau MD
    800 McCullough Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78215
  • Dr. Richard Ahuja
    Dr. Richard Ahuja MD
    840 W. Irving Park Rd.
    Chicago, IL 60613