Is it safe for pregnant women to have spotting?

I'm three months pregnant, 28 years old, and just yesterday I began spotting. What does this mean? I don't want to overreact and go see a doctor if this is totally normal, but obviously I want to deal with it right now if there's some kind of problem. Is this normal?
This is an extremely common occurrence and situation dealt with frequently in the OBGYN world. Spotting, though quite common in pregnant women, should always be reported to your OBGYN so that he or she can triage your situation as dangerous or benign. Sometimes, your doctor will want you to come in for an exam just to make sure everything is okay. In most pregnant women, some spotting, while not normal, is not a cause of great concern. During pregnancy the cervix develops a richer supply of blood flow making it easier to bleed if touched or manipulated. Sex during pregnancy often results in a small amount of bleeding which manifests as spotting. This should not discourage you from having intercourse while pregnant. In most situations, its very safe. Pelvic exams can also result in small amounts of bleeding. If you ever develop frank bleeding with or without severe abdominal pain, you should head straight to the emergency room to get evaluated because this can be life threatening to you and your baby. Remember, you are never over-reacting. Anytime you have a new symptom, you should report it to your OBGYN as soon as possible. Good luck and congratulations on the new baby.